Why does the College ask for my Social Security Number?
With respect to admission, registration and financial aid, Owens Community College collects social security numbers from its students for the following reasons;
- For use in processing admission applications, for purposes of identification and verification of student records;
- For use in administering federal and state programs/loans, including verification of eligibility. These programs include, but are not limited to:
- Financial Aid and other related loan programs
- Scholarship programs
- For use in complying with IRS Reporting Requirements pertaining to the Hope Scholarship Credit and the Lifetime Learning Credit provided under Federal Law;
- For use in preparing Student Enrollment Reports required to be submitted to the National Student Loan Data System under Federal Law;
- For use in providing official student transcripts to authorized third parties (i.e educational institutions and employers upon receipt of required releases) for student identification purposes;
- For enrollment verification and eligibility for health insurance coverage, and other benefits, as requested by students;
- For submitting reports to federal and state agencies as required.